Sunday, June 15, 2008

Synopisis of Parents' Seminar - EQ:IQ - How You Can Help Your Child Excel

We have received many enquires from parents with regards to our recent parents’ seminar - “EQ/IQ: How You Can Help Your Child Excel”. Thus, for this week’s entry, instead of our usual response to your questions, we’ll be summarizing the key points from the seminar to benefit parents who were not able to attend the talk. Our Q&A session will resume next week with the question from one parent: “How Can I Help My Child Be Interested in Mathematics?”

Synopsis of Seminar – “EQ:IQ - How You Can Help Your Child Excel”
8th June 2008
National Museum of Singapore

Prior to the start of the seminar, the Speaker, Ms Brenda Yeow (PBM), reiterated the importance of selecting the right yardsticks for a child. She advised parents to be realistic about their children’s abilities. Setting too high a benchmark for the child will only serve to de-motivate him/her. Instead, setting achievable targets will allow for mini triumphs and act as a source of motivation for the child to strive for excellence.

Moving on, Ms Yeow shared in details, 7 ways parents can help their children excel. They are:

1) Inculcating the right attitude
2) Nurturing his self-confidence
3) Understanding his learning styles and interests
4) Creating a conducive and emotionally supportive environment at home
5) Encouraging and empowering him to set goals
6) Carrying out activities that build strong bonds
7) Enforcing discipline

The talk ended with Ms Yeow sharing a poem with the parents – “What All Children Want Their Parents To Know” by Diana & Julia Loomans. Due to numerous requests after the seminar, we have included the poem below (see below).

Before the seminar came to a close, there was a short Q&A session. I’ll like to highlight one question from the floor. Throughout the seminar, Ms Yeow has stressed the importance of parents spending quality time with their children. One parent asked how they could spend quality time with each child if they have many children. Ms Yeow replied by asking parents to think about having both quality as well as “special” time. Quality time can be spent together as a family, while special time is only reserved for one child at a time. Each child will be allocated a “special time” with mum or dad where they get to do or talk about things. All siblings will have their own special time to avoid perception of unfairness that could result in unhappiness.

We’ll like to take this opportunity to thank the Speaker, Ms Yeow, the National Museum of Singapore as well as all who have helped to make this seminar a success.

The next parent seminar will be in December 2008. More details to follow.


What All Children Want Their Parents To Know
by Diana & Julia Loomans

Teach me to love and care for myself
Through your positive example.
I will learn much more from what you do
Than from anything you could ever say.

Notice me often,
And take joy in my existence,
So that I grow up to feel special
And know that I am loved.

Listen to me
With an open ear and a loving heart,
So that I learn to understand my feelings
And trust that my needs will be heard.

Play with me often.
Let down your guard and be more carefree.
The memories will last long,
And our connection even longer

Focus on what I’m doing right,
And tell me when you appreciate me,
So that I learn to feel worthy
And motivated to do even more.

Tell me more about life,
Your hopes, dreams and successes,
So that I come to know you as a person
And can call you my friend,
As well as my parent.